Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2002 tacoma 4x4 after sitting brakes lock up. Can release lock

Customer Question

2002 tacoma 4x4 after sitting brakes lock up. Can release lock up by going in reverse 1-2 feet. trying to accelerate can spin rear wheels without moving forward. Sometimes left rear wheel locks up but can release by going in reverse 1-2 feet. Front calipers and hoses replaced last 6 months. Rear drum brakes checked ok. While driving, there are no noticeable noises. When initially applying brakes and moving forward, fronts feel like quickly grapping.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The first thing to check on this is to see if the rear brake drums/brake shoes have any evidence of oil contamination. Older Tacomas have a tenancy to develop rear axle seal leaks. When this happens, the brake shoes, wet with gear lube, will stick to the brake drums. The second thing to check is the proper operation of the Load Sensing Proportioning valve. This is the device that controls the amount of brake fluid to the rear wheels depending on the load in the bed. If it is faulty, there will be more brake at the rear, or zero brake at the rear. This could explain the front brake grabbing. Lastly, if it sits for a long time, the rear wheel cylinders my have some rust buildup (older brake fluid causes this, as brake fluid absorbs moisture form the air; and would be more apt to occur in a higher humidity climate).
Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.