tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop....25 years

My 6 cyl 95 camry has a check engine light on and needed to

Customer Question

my 6 cyl 95 camry has a check engine light on and needed to be smogged today in calif. the tech at the shop extracted a failure code referring to an automatic trans solenoid(s) as being the failure. He cautioned me that the trans itself might need to be replaced to fix the problem, but the solinoids must be replaced first in order to determine if that's the case. The car runs and shifts okay from my perspective... I need some enlightenment on this subject. I am a Journeyman Mechanic myself, but haven't twisted a wrench since 1998 so the technology is a bit forgein.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 6 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.what is the code#'S YOU GET?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
something like a "shift 1"..?
what engine do you have?
you dont know the code number?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
6 cyl... not at home right now... left the RO there....L01? not sure. the guy said it was the "shift solinoid pack"
okif you are getting a code for the sooenoid and you havent noticed the transmission slipping..i would think it only needs the solenoid
replace all the solenoids while you are there
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]. the link doesn’t work that way, try it this If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help