Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Solara XLEConvert: My 2004 toyota Solara XLE Convert has code

Customer Question

My 2004 toyota Solara XLE Convert has code p0304 engine misfire #4 .The mice chewed #4  injector wires off. I replaced the pigtails.Engine still misfired. So I replaced the spark plugs,coils and injectors. Still #4 misfire.What is the fix
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will try to help. Can you check number 4 injector harness with a noid light and see if it flashes? Also, can you pull number 4 coil pack up out of the head, and put a spark tester on it, and lay it on the valve cover, and see if number 4 coil is indeed firing the plug? lets try to isolate whether or not it's spark or injector pulse that is missing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have switched plugs and coils from 2 to 4 to6 still #4 does not fire.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, so you have verified that there is no spark on plug 4? but it does have injector pulse to the injector?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
I'm going to pull the wiring diagram up, I believe it's a straight shot from the each coil back to the engine computer. so if the coil drivers are in the ECM, then I'm starting to believe the ECM has failed.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Is it 2.4 or 3.3L engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3.3 V6
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, the number 4 coil pack, has a BLACK/RED wire, that should have 12 volts to it constant with key ON, The WHITE/BLACK wire runs straight to ground, so that should have less than 3 ohms resistance measuring it right to the neg. battery terminal. Do you have a volt meter to check those signals? The other two wires run directly to the Engine Computer. and the BLUE/YELLOW wire at pin 11 at the ECM is a pulsed ground signal that the Engine Computer sends to fire the coil.