Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Name is ***** ***** toyota fj cruiser dash and tail lights

Customer Question

Name is ***** ***** toyota fj cruiser dash and tail lights out. Blown fuse, keeps blowing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No dash lights, all other interior lights ok. No tail lights but turn lights ok. Found the blown fu s e bur every time its changed it blows again
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi Sharla,The fuse keeps blowing because one the power circuits is shorting to ground. Perhaps if you tell me how this all started I can give you an area where to look for that short circuit.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing out of the ordinary. Noticed when I needed to turn headlights on last night and had no gauge lights on dash. Then another driver alerted me to no tail lights
That makes it harder to guess the location of the short. Try turning the instrument lights dimmer first. If that has no effect, then walk around the vehicle and take a close look at all the license, marker, parking and tail lamps to see if there are any telltale signs of damage (look behind the lamps wherever possible). If there is none, then the short is going to have to be found the old fashioned way by tracing the circuits with an Ohmmeter. Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will let you know what I find. The dimmer did nothing. I did have the turn signal replaced the other day. The lense was cracked. Husband said he poured a quart of water out. He has double checked all of that and does not believe That is the culprit. He is very mechanically inclined so I'm not worried there ( farmer and has always worked on his own equipments) son is an Ag mechanic. Both were stumped so I thought I would do a little research and found this web site. Thank you for the advice. Will let you know
Well, that's a good place to start. Ask then to first unplug all the lamps in that corner - and I mean unplug them, not just take the bulbs out. Then turn the lights on. If the fuse doesn't blow, start plugging them back one by one until one of them makes the fuse blow.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, $116 later, it was the (aftermarket) turn signal replacement unit, the socket inside was shorted, which is weird because the turn signal was working. All is good now.Next time it will be OEM parts, in the end I saved -0-
Well, on the positive side, the issue is solved and your FJ has all its lights working again!Best Regards.