Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Scion xb: my 2010 scion xb made loud noise almost as if it

Customer Question

my 2010 scion xb made loud noise almost as if it was low on oil, then it lost power
and quite running. it will not start and makes a whining noise. the pulleys and belt
rotate. it act's like it wants to start but dose caught
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 8 months ago.
Hi there.That loud noise could have been made by several things; the fact that the engine doesn't start points to one or more of the timing components as being the culprit. To find out, either perform a compression test (no or very low compression means engine damage), or remove the valve or timing cover to visually inspect the condition of the timing components.Please let me know if you have any other questions.Best Regards.