EricFromCT, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Advanced Level Certified, 17 years dealer experience

Toyota Corolla SR5 Coupe (AE92), 4A-F: I've seen Your Toyota

Customer Question

I've seen Your Toyota related answers and would be glad to hear Your opinion.
I have a nice production unit of Toyota Corolla SR5 Coupe (AE92, so E9-generation, 4A-F, carbureted engine).
Now after first ride of a season (i have seasonal license plate in Germany, so no rides during winter) I find out that it's leaking in a certain area under the distributor, the leak goes over the gear box and all way down. During the ride I stopped couple of times to wipe the leaking oil from a surface of the gearbox to check next stop if more oil is there - and yes, the dry spot is wet from oil almost after 5-7 miles. The most wet area appears to be under the distributor, but i have absoluteley no idea what that means, to what conclusions it leads and what to do to eliminate the problem. Oil pressure symbol is off, so seems to be okay for the system, and the oil level is on "FULL" after driving 80 miles that day.
I am really looking forward to Your advice.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 months ago.
Hi. It sounds like you need to replace the distributor seal. There is a seal around the distributor where it goes into the engine to prevent oil from leaking out.