Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

My name is ***** *****, and the convertible top on my 2000

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****, and the convertible top on my 2000 Toyota Solara went down but wouldn't come back up. I learned from the manual in my glove box how to raise it up manually, but now I'd like to determine why the top would not come back up. I checked the fuse and it's good. The mechanism is working when I try to put the top back down, but why wont it go up?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Do I need to take the back seat out? Is there a solenoid somewhere that needs to be checked or replaced? I'm no mechanic, but I can follow instructions (usually).
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. This can be an issue with a failed micro switch/position sensor for the roof itself.I have seen these fail before in the past sending an incorrect signal causing this issue here.The fault codes will need checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model here.Once this is done any codes set need to be diagnosed and repaired from there.The scan tool is also used to monitor the roof position sensors to locate a faulty one needing replaced for this issue.Once it is located it usually requires replacement from there. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've done some research on line, and I, too, believe that the problem is with a micro switch/sensor. When I depress the "top down" button, the top goes down accordingly: so, I doubt if it's the motor. I'm wondering where the micro switch/sensor actually is. I've removed the back seat and one of the side panels trying to find something (I don't know really know what to look for or where to look). I couldn't find any information on line that would help, so I've contacted Just Answer. Suggestions?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
After looking through more info on this here I only see one switch location in the trunk itself as shown below.My info doesnt show me how to access it unfortunately but this switch will and can fail causing this fault here. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I see the location for the top switch located in the trunk. That is nothing more than a switch that, when depressed, allows you to put the top back up manually. I found that in the car's manual and raised the top by hand. Then I switched it back. As for the scan tool and the fault codes . . . I guess I could go to Auto Zone for that, and I assume they could tell me that the sensor is faulty, but could they tell me where the sensor is located or how to replace it?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Auto Zone can read out the codes just make sure to tell them to check all computers for codes.If a code is set they can give you the code number and an idea of its location in some cases.If you can get this done and they cannot tell you the location give me the code info and I will see what I can find. Thanks Pete