Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota Matrix: I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix that starts fine

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix that starts fine but once it warms up, (3 - 5 minutes) while driving, it becomes very sluggish like its loosing power. I was told it could be a sensor by a friend. Any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Is the check engine light on at the dash? if it is, it could very well be a sensor.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No check engine light
No check engine light (assuming it works when the key is just turned to 'on') indicates all of the sensors are good. Most often, losing power with no sensor issue is either a transmission problem, or a brake caliper problem. Can you check the color of the transmission fluid for me? Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Check engine light works in the 'on' position. Transmission fluid is red, looks clean. I did buy the car used a year ago but not sure of maintenance performed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Has 111,000 miles on it.
If this car was in my shop, I would be doing a complete transmission flush, with a machine designed for this purpose. You may have sticking valves in the valve body of the transmission. Also, I would also be checking to see if your brake calipers are free and not causing the brake pads to be slightly applied due to rust on the sliding portion of the caliper. You may also want to have your throttle plate/throttle body cleaned; perhaps an induction cleaning would also be a good idea, being that it has 111,000 miles on it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With everything you mentioned above, what would be the worst case scenario on the cost?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
please break each service down for me.
We charge: Transmission fluid flush, new fluid and fluid conditioner: 179.95Clean rusty brake caliper slides: 140.00 - 160.00 depending on the time involvedThrottle body Service: 59.95Induction cleaning: 79.95 (69.95 if the throttle body service is done at the same time)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I live in Perry Georgia. How does this work with getting my car to you? And should I try to drive it?Also, question... can a diagnostic tell you anything about the problem if the check engine light is not on?
I am 1000 miles away from GA. Sorry. A good diagnostic may show internal codes that do not light up the light. These are called "pending" and "history" codes. Not all scanners can read pending and history. Only the good (expensive) scanners do this. It would be prudent to get what we call a computer 'health check' done at your local Toyota dealer before condemning the ECU.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah, I don't think I can get it to your shop... lol. Are these prices any good at all Toyota dealers or just your shop? There is a Toyota dealer in Warner Robins, GA, like 15 miles from my house. Should I even attempt to drive it there?
I would not be too concerned about driving it to your dealer. The prices are pretty comparable between dealers; give or take 20 to 50 dollars per service. The bigger the dealer is/more into big cities, the more the door rate is going to be.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help and expertise. Have a great day!
You too! Thanks again for choosing Just Answer.