Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Corolla: 1996 corolla, manual, 1.8. Runs few minutes

Customer Question

1996 corolla, manual, 1.8. Runs for a few minutes then cuts out, no spark. Sometimes starts up after or usually later, it is not consistent. Replaced, CPS sensor, Ign. module, distributor. It used to cut out once in awhile but now it is not really drive able. Do you think the ECM might be the problem? Thanks, John
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.
Hello, do you have a diagnostic code reader or have you had it checked for codes?soes the check engine light turn on when the key is on and then goes off after the engine runs or does it turn on while driving?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I worship on Saturday no business on that day. So if we can continue Sun. or Mon. it would be great. Thanks John(###) ###-####
No problem, we can do that, I'll contact you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's great. I have something going on Sun.till about 11AM, so anytime after is good, or Mon. anytime. Just call. Thanks JohnWe're on Central Time.
Ok, thanks for the update.,In the meantime is there a way you can have it checked for diagnostic codes? Most autoparts stores do this for free.also when you reply I need to know what engine it has, please check the label under the hood, it should read something like 4AF-E or 1ZZ-FE, if not sure or there is no label attach a picture of the engine, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a good code reader, there are no codes when it can connect to the ECM. When the it doesn't run it can't connect to the ECM. I'll have to check the label tomorrow, it is a friends car. 1.8 fuel injected. John
That's interesting, when it doesn't run do the dash lights turn on as well as the check engine light when the key is in the on position?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Ted
I worked on it today and found the issue. It was the ignitor connector female side. I was able to take apart the harness connector and tighten the individual connectors. After it ran for about 5 min. cut out again with no check engine light. As I was checking the Ign. Fuse, moving it, the check eng. light kept going on and off as I moved it. So the other problem was a loose contact inside the power and fuse box. Took it out and opened it up to tighten the connectors inside. Thankfully it is running now. Thanks for your willingness to help. John
Thanks for letting me know, glad you got it fixed, kind regards, Ted.