Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Highlander: Toyota Highlander 2014, on right turns sometimes

Customer Question

Toyota Highlander 2014, on right turns sometimes the car doesn't excellerate right It's done on occasion making a left turn.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Is it possible that you are activating the traction control system?The way the transmission and axle are designed on this car it's more likely to lose traction (spin the tires) if accelerating while turning. If the traction control system senses that the wheel is spinning it will activate and slow the engine down just slightly to help you get traction again. It sometimes seems like a hesitation or a stumble of the engine, but it's actually designed to do that.Some models of the highlander have a button that will allow you to turn the traction control off manually. It usually looks like a car with squiggly lines from the wheels. If you turn the traction control off and then try to get it to do it again while turning it will probably not hesitate, but it might squeal the tires and make you fishtail a little bit. You might not want to try it for risk of losing control, but it would tell you weather that's what it happening.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
When I say activating the traction control I mean inadvertently causing the traction control to activate. Just to clarify.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
I wanted to check and see if you need any additional help.I haven't heard back from you since beginning our conversation. Please let me know if you need more info and if not, please don't forget to rate.