Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Tundra: I have a 2000 Tundra 4.7L V8. Over the last 3 years

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Tundra 4.7L V8. Over the last 3 years I have gone through 6 alternators from Autozone (lifetime warranty). Two weeks ago I bought an OEM alternator from and that died on me yesterday. Everytime I pull an alternator off and they tested it at Autozone they fail the test so the alternator is going bad. I have a brand new battery. I am just lost at this point...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.We see many of these same issues come up as a result of auto parts retailers trying to get a piece of the auto service market. The truth is charging and starting systems in vehicles like your Tundra need to be diagnosed and serviced by certified technicians using professional equipment, not the hand held gadgets auto parts sales people use.Take for example any of the very common issues that can affect the charging and starting systems, such as loose or dirty ground connections at the engine block, mis-adjusted alternator belts, parasitic draws, loose battery cable terminals, etc., that a parts sales person would never catch because 1) they don't have the technical knowledge - they make their living selling parts, not fixing cars; and 2) they don't use the right equipment - none of the chain stores use or know how to use a professional Volt/Amp Tester (VAT) that puts an adequate load on the system for proper testing.If you're not mechanically inclined (and most of my customers aren't), my advice is that you have your Tundra diagnosed by a qualified Toyota shop - not necessarily a dealer. In the long run, you'll save time, money and, most important, a lot headaches and aggravation.Please let me know if you have any other questions.Best Regards.