mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

My wife locked keys in her 2003 solara convertible(trunk) and

Customer Question

my wife locked keys in her 2003 solara convertible(trunk) and the entire system has locked down. Can she get into the trunk from the cabin?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: The keys are locked in the trunk. A locksmith is not able to help.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: She says the "system is locked down", the trunk latch inside doesn't help. The doors lock as soon as she unlocks them.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.
is the rest of the car unlocked i am assuming it is. but i have to ask.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the inside of the vehicle by the drivers seat should have a trunk release. it is a manual cable to the trunk.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not working. Security system thinks it's being stolen I guess?
that doesnt seem right since it is a cable the security system should have no effect on it. unless it is in valet mode then it will not open. on the rear seats on the topon either side should be a pull lever to release the seat backs and fold them down.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no. It's a convertible. She can't find any lever
ok things are a bit different on a convertible give me a moment i will see what i can find.
so the convertible has no trunk access through the cabin if the lever does not release. i have attached a diagram. also when you do get it opened with another key or a locksmith. on the latch you should see a little lever that you can move to two positions. that is the vlaet switch it disengages the cable or re engages it.
here is the attachment.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What am I supposed to do with a diagram. My wife is 500 miles away.
the diagram is just to show you that that there is no access. the only way in if the release on the floor is not working is to call a locksmith or have it towed to a dealership. the cable is a direct linkage to the latch and if it isnt working than it is dis engaged or broken. the alarm can not stop a direct cable linkage.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for nothing
i am sorry i am un able to get the keys out of the trunk all i can do is provide you with the infor if it is available or possible. it is unfortunate that the keys are trapped in the trunk i have been in that situation and it is terrible and just time consuming. i hope your night improves. if you could take a moment and leave me a rating it would be appreciated.