Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Prius: My PRIUS has no heat but the fan works. The defrost

Customer Question

My PRIUS has no heat but the fan works. The defrost blows cold air but seems to be just warm enough to keep water from freezing on windshield. What do you think is the likely problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. What usually fails and causes this issue here is a fault with the actuator on the heater box that switches from hot to cold.You can have the fault codes checked with a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set,then from there those codes diagnosed to locate and correct this issue here.I suspect the hot/cold/temp actuator is at fault needing replaced as this is most common. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pete,
Thanks. How big a job is that to do? And what is the typical cost-ball park, obviously realize varies by shop.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Your welcome.My info isnt showing the procedure on how this is done but it is located under the dash on the drivers side and is labeled as the air mix servo below.The cost can vary anywhere from $75 to $250 for the servo and if it is a difficult one to access up to 6 hours to replace.Some take less then an hour to replace if accessed easily.https://www.dropbox.com/s/g79g5lfv7pl7fgr/servo-04-05.gif?dl=0 Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pete,
Thanks, ***** ***** the car in hopefully tomorrow and let you know.
Max
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Your welcome.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready. Thanks Pete