mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

My 2010 Toyota hybrid will not start. When I turn the key

Customer Question

My 2010 Toyota hybrid will not start. When I turn the key there is a message on the console that says "shift to park" - the problem is that the vehicle is already in park.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: when I turn the key off and try to start the vehicle again the console starts to flash - as if the electronics are confused
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: That is pretty much it. I did drive the vehicle 400km on the highway yesterday - it was perfectly fine then
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.
what hybrid do you have? prius ? and if so which model prius
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
and when you say it is in park i am assuming the light is on for the park button when you press it. have you tried shifting the vehicle into neutral with the parking brake engaged to see if it starts then?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I can go give that a try.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can not get it out of park - automatic transmission with shift on the console.Also it seems that the battery has now died. I can boost my vehicle with to bring the battery back to life. Ok?
yes okay. when you turn the vehicle to one with engine off. you should be able to move the shift lever to neutral and have it shift into neutral. if it does not you have an issue with communication to the ecm and you will need to have the vehicle scanned by toyota to see what is going on. a normal scanner is not capable of getting into this system.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Weird. With the boost the vehicle starts in park.Perhaps I need to get my battery tested?
if it is the original battery i would replace it. they only really have a 4 year life span for optimum use. and i have seen many issues caused by the auxiliary battery. you can have it tested but chances are you will need a battery. if you do get a battery ensure you get a quality battery such as interstate or factory. anything else just doesn't last as well.
if that will be it i would appreciate if you took a moment to leave me a rating as this is how we are credited from the site.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The battery is only about 2.5 years old. I will have the battery checked at a Toyota dealership. (I am surprised, Friday I drove 400km, then a number of short trips Saturday & early Sunday, then drove 400km Sunday evening - no problems at all, despite its age the vehicle runs fine except now).Will do a rating after going for a drive.Thanks
no problem. you should also have the charging sytem checked aswell if this is the case to ensure the alternator is charging the battery properly.