Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota 4runner: Car: 2012 toyota 4Runner Issue: randomly wihile

Customer Question

Car: 2012 toyota 4Runner
Issue: randomly wihile car is being driven, the following lights will come on and blink:
Brake
ABS
4WD
4LO
Traction Control
Then they will shut off on their own. The car seems to be operating normally. This kind of started after a big snow storm when my wife was using 4wd frequently.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 8 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting, it's kind of hard to say what exactly this may be caused by but it's obviously resetting itself once the trouble code is cleared, my best guess is that there may be some debris on one of the wheel speed sensors, which seems to be intermittent, it would be ideal to find out what the diagnostic codes are at the time the lights are on. Having the trouble codes helps in locating the trouble area, in the meantime try disconnecting the negative battery terminal and wait about 5 minutes, see if that helps, check underneath at each wheel for any mud or debris that may be there and clean it off, check the speed sensor wires at each wheel and connectors at the sensors, make sure the connectors are secured and the wires are not damaged in any way.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the response. I am going to try these when I get home tonight. I will let you know what happens. Thanks.
You're welcome, thanks for keeping me posted.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So I tried disconnecting the battery and cleaning checking the speed sensors and wheels. Same issue. Sounds like I need to check the trouble codes
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.
I agree, having a specific code would narrow it down a lot. Take your time and let me know the result.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is the best way to check the trouble codes? With an obd2 reader?
yes, an obd 2 reader but it has to be capable of accessing the trac control and abs system. Not usre if the one autozone uses has this function but you can give them a call and find out, they do this at no charge in most states.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I have one that Bluetooth connects to my phone. The only issue I'm having is getting it to act up while I'm reading fault codes. No fault codes when the lights aren't blinking. I'll update when I can get some fault codes. Thanx
Ok, that sounds good.One thing I wanted to mention is to check tire pressures and make sure they are all even, make sure the downhill asssist control (DAC) is turned off as well as any other trac assist or differential lock buttons.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I'll check. Also worth mentioning. Recently the brakes have started pulsating at lower speeds randomly. It happens while braking and it feels like a steady clicking. Almost like the anti lock brakes are trying to engage. It's only happened a hand full of times but I think it's related.
Sounds like it's related to me too, if the rotors heat up they can start to cause a pulsation in the pedal and this in turn can turn the vsc system on and then go back off so maybe have the brake rotors checked and thickness measured if they are below the minimum they should be replaced.