Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a code P0021 on Toyota FJ Crusier 2008. We changed

Customer Question

hello I have a code P0021 on Toyota FJ Crusier 2008. We changed the engine and hook up everything. Starts up ok but after5-10 min get the code.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We had to change the engine and we set it up made all the connections. Start up the engine works ok and after 5-10 min of riding the engine light goes on ,track control and other two lights. We connect the scan and get code P0021.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 8 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting The P0021 code indicates that the timing is too far advanced, it can mean that the timing chain may be slightly off in relation to the crankshaft so the timing marks may need to be rechecked, also check that the oil control valves for the VVti are connected and the connections are good, I think it's also possible to reverse the OCV connections between bank one and bank two, let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think it is the timing chain off. IS there a manual I can use for calibrating the timing chain?
The chain arrangement is a little involved , the absolute best recommendation I can make at this time is to go by the factory illustration and text, I don't know how reliable the aftermarket manuals are,. Go to Toyota's tech information system directly at techinfo.toyota.com, for about $15.00 you can download anything you want for 24 hours you can print it and use it and take your time. You can try to google 1GR-FE timing chain related topics, there may be something there you can use, I can not upload Toyota's proprietary information which is against copyright laws. Best of luck.