Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics

My son states that his yellow check engine light is on again

Customer Question

my son states that his yellow check engine light is on again and that he feels like there is a soft rolling or lurching in his engine when it comes on. He had it in to see the dealership on Saturday and they did not see anything wrong, he had an oil change and tire rotation done at that time too. Sensation only felt for a few seconds when accelerating or a sharp turn. What should he do now?
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Vehicle is a 2009, only two drivers and we bought it new before we sold it to our son.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: This appears to be his only complaint. At first he thought the weather could be the problem. He is driving long distances and soon to going on his honey moon....
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Not aware of anything else. He drove up to Richmond this morning from Norfolk and during the drive it occurred. We asked the dealership to do a safety check and all turned up well. We mentioned the check engine light but did not have these details at the time.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately, this may not be the answer you were hoping for... but... there is no 1-answer, "it's this..." type of answer here. From what you are describing, this could be a number of different things. This can be a problem in the fuel/air delivery system, a misfire of sorts, a transmission problem, etc. At this point, the first thing to do is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") scanned from the on-board computer. These codes will more accurately point us in the direction of the part/sensor that has the problem and from there, we cab better diagnose the root of the problem and then make the correct repair. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Sorry I could not be more specific, but as I say, there are many possibilities here and we really need more info at this point. And those p-codes are the key. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept so I may be credited. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.