Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Rav4: , I have a 2001 Toyota Rav4 that had the transmission

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2001 Toyota Rav4 that had the transmission and transfer case removed and installed in order to replace the clutch that was beginning to slip. The transmission worked normally before the repair, mostly. Unfortunately, during removal the transmission fell on to it's top resulting in a slightly bent shift rod (the part that the cables connect to that can slide in and out of the transmission and also turns to select gears). The transmission works well , can engage all gears without problem, except for fourth gear. when i put it into fourth the shift leaver goes in feeling 'empty' and the transmission acts like it's in neutral. It looks like the shift rod can be removed in the car, but not sure exactly what's needed to take it all the way out. What is the best way to fix this? L0oking for detailed info.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I have an exploded diagram that shows all the components on that shaft but no specific instructions for removing it. I can send you that if you would like, but I don't have specific detailed instructions for replacing it. Would the diagram help you?