Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Prius, 2005, won't go into anything but neutral after turning

Customer Question

Prius, 2005, won't go into anything but neutral after turning it on.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Check engine light and other warning lights are on. Hooked it up and got error code p3190.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: It happened just after getting the oil changed
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 8 months ago.
Do you have any HV codes for the hybrid system or and detail info code numbers?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just prius trouble code p3190. Don't know how to get HV or detail info code numbers. Will be checking the air flow sensor and 12V battery in the morning. Initially, the red warning triangle, check engine, (( ! )), and VCS came on, about a block after leaving the oil change place. Turned around and went back, the tech there plugged in and got the P3190 trouble code. They couldn't do anything more, so I was going to drive to the dealership. Turned the car on to leave, but it wouldn't go into anything but neutral, and the engine did not start up as it usually does shortly after turning the car on. Turned it on and off multiple times. The check engine, (( ! )), ABS, VSC, and car-with-wavy-tracks-behind-it warning lights all come on and stay on, and the car only goes to neutral when I try to put it in drive or reverse. Will be checking/cleaning the air flow sensor and 12V auxiliary battery in the morning.
Expert:  john replied 8 months ago.
did they drain the cvt? did they just have a generic obd scanner?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope John, they didn't drain the cvt, and yes it looked like a generic scanner to me. The air flow sensor had picked up some debris, which I gently removed. That didn't help. It continued displaying all dashboard trouble lights, and would only go to neutral, and the engine would not start. Then the multi-function display quit coming on at all, and then the dashboard display quit too. Googling up the various symptoms confirmed my impression that the battery was the next most likely problem. My handheld volt meter says the 12V battery is at about 3 volts-- both checking at the jumper terminal in the fuse box under the hood (and grounding to the frame), and checking the voltage directly across the battery terminals in the back. Next step is recharging the 12V battery to see if it'll take and/or hold a charge. (And light up the screens again. :-) My tally on being in touch with you is that it's only worth the minimum charge so far. Agreed? Alan James
Expert:  john replied 8 months ago.
is likely a battery failure but a generic scan tool will not get the job done... that's simply a code reader and does not acces anything but ecm codes... try charging but if that does not work we will need a real scan tool...o a better one at minimum