Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Its a 98 camry. teh evap and catylyst on the obd aren't resetting.

Customer Question

its a 98 camry. teh evap and catylyst on the obd aren't resetting.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes. its due for california smog cert. need the monitors to reset to get it to pass.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: There was a check engine light on, but i had to replace the battery before taking it in for smog. no more check engine light but it won't reset.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.The reason the monitors won't reset is that there is a fault code in the OBD-II computer memory. Once the failure indicated by the fault code is repaired, the code can be erased and the vehicle driven through a couple of OBD-II Drive Cycles so the monitors can reset.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do i find the fault code? nothing showing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What I mean is, there's no check engine light showing, thus, no fault code.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello? are you there?
Yes, I am.The fact that there is no check engine light showing does not automatically mean there is no code. If there was no code, the OBD-II monitors would reset. If you'd like, I could upload the OBD-II regs pertaining to Monitor completion.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok, so how do we access the code?
The onboard computer has to be scanned with a tool capable of retrieving both current as well as pending codes - I don't know your state's regulations, but places like Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, Aamco and others like them will do this for free.