Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Toyota Tacoma 4x4: Can I adjust the play in 2008 Toyota Tacoma

Customer Question

Can I adjust the play in 2008 Toyota Tacoma transfercase?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Where do you have the 'play' with the transfer case?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where driveshaft connect to transfercase.
If you are speaking of endplay in the actual joint at the transfer case output shaft, the answer is you cannot adjust this. The endplay/looseness in the output shaft yoke is most likely due to a stretched transfer case drive chain. If the endplay is excessive, I would recommend replacement of the drive chain.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I removed the driveshaft an turned the trasnfercase by hand it 3 qut of an " an makes a tapping nois
That sounds a lot more like a broken tooth at one of the drive gears for the transfer case drive chain.
In any case, there is no external adjustment provided. You are going to have to take the t-case off and split open it to see what is going on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you you have anwserd my question.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer