Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Matrix: 2004 matrix battery good. Won't start. No clicking

Customer Question

2004 matrix battery good. Won't start. No clicking sound. Full power on dash. Does not dim as I turn key. It almost seems like a kill switch with this car does not have. I got is started 3 times thought the day in a row if if sit It may not start then you move around the car and it my start.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 8 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting Is it an automatic or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
automatic
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do you need more info on the car? We own the car for at least 10 years and never have problems, battery is from 6/2015 and in 100% good.
Thanks for the replyIt sounds like maybe the neutral start switch could be the problem, does it help to move the shifter through all the positions a few times and then to neutral or park?
Do you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tray to start in Parking and neutral and it does not help. Battery was tested at Napa and it is 100% good therefore I don't think is the battery I even clean the batterie terminals to make sure the connection is 100%
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I suspect the Matrix must have a bad electric connection in the gear system or that the switch gears is worn out. Meaning when I change gears from neutral or park (just to try and turn on the car) I don't think it recognizes the change. Maybe thinking it is in gear?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does the Matrix 2004 have Electronic box that senses the switch handle? If yes, is that easy to get to and change the faulty part?
Yes, that's why I think that it may be the neutral safety switch on the transmission, it's located just behind where the shift lever comes out of the transmission and it has an electrical connector on it with a few wires, sometimes the contacts can get corroded so that's something to check, for me to help more with this we'll need to do a couple of electrical checks but it requires a voltmeter or a simple 12 volt test light.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will check with my neighbor if he has a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light. Is there a web page that I can see the schematic of the neutral safety switch on the transmission, located behind the shift lever ?
I can look at a wiring diagram and give you step by step instructions to check the starter and the switch, the voltage is lost between the ignition switch and the starter or the starter itself is the problem, let me know when you have the test light or the meter and we can go from there to solve this following my test procedure. I'll be glad to continue this in the morning if you need more time and besides it's getting kind of late. Let me know when you are ready to proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If is in reverse, 1st , 2nd or 3rd and I turn the key the dash light do not turn off if is in parking or Neutral and I turn the key the light in the dash board goes off and only the light in the meter needles.
We can re start this in the morning, what time is for you now hear is 7 pm.
I'm on the west coast (california) and it's 10pm.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What time in the morning you will like me to get back to you?
You can get back to me as early as you like, I'm usually online at around 8:30 AM my time, if you reply earlier I will give you priority.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will get to you around 7 am my time.
Have a good evening
You too, talk to you then.