Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I changed my tranny fluid on my 08 tacoma a few weeks ago and

Customer Question

I changed my tranny fluid on my 08 tacoma a few weeks ago and dont feel that the fluid level is correct now
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: feels like there is some slipage in the tranny after a hard brake and getting back on the gas
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: not that I can think of, I changed the fluid I purchased the new fluid at the dealership and filled until the over flow plug started to drip so slightley, change was conducted at 122300 miles
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
When you filled the transmission back up and checked the fluid level was the vehicle running or off?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Also, 2wd or 4wd, and 2.7l or 4.0l?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was off, 2wd 4.0V6
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I prefer to chat rather than talk
thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked it through the overflow plug with the engine at operating temperature while idling in park?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
If you checked it through the overflow plug with the engine off it probably seemed full when it was low. Let me send you the check/fill procedure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, meaning get her up to operating temp and pull the overflow plug and see if I have too much fluid in there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as is I did I would assume it would exit the overflow plug correct
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Towards the bottom of this doc is the fluid level check procedure. Take a look and see if you have the correct fluid level. Keep in mind it has to be warmed up. If you check it cold it won't check right.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
It's safe to assume that you used Toyota Genuine WS fluid right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ya from the dealer, but I am starting to think that the newer tacoma's take this world fluid and the olders like mine take a xx4 fluid. Wondering if I got the wrong fluid
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
This year model lists the WS as the correct fluid. I'm fairly certain that WS is backwards compatible with the IV and xx4 fluids anyhow.