Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics

ABS code 3-9 '97 Avalon JA: The mechanics have tons of experience

Customer Question

ABS code 3-9 '97 Avalon
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with ABS (as well as brakes in general.) Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: Code 39
JA: Thanks. That'll be helpful as you troubleshoot with the mechanic. Ok, so other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Running great
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.
The ABS 39 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a problem with the left rear wheel speed sensor (aka "ABS Sensor"). Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, remove the sensor and look inside the hole. Inspect the tone-ring for any damaged "teeth". If the visual inspection here checks ok, replacing the Left (driver's side) Rear Wheel Speed Sensor should solve the problem. For an image location view of the sensor, click here: my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept so I may be credited. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.