Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2009 toyota corolla . AC not lighting up, no fans blowing.

Customer Question

2009 toyota corolla . AC not lighting up, no fans blowing. Cannot match owners manual to fuses under driver dash or in engine bay.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: AC does not turn on. No blower fans. Cannot match my owner book pictures of fuses to the car. Pictures do not show fusible link.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.
Just to clarify you're saying that the light in the AC switch does not illuminate or is it the blower motor does not work on any fan speed regardless of where the air-conditioning controls are set?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Neither are working.
Do you have the VIN available or do you have Auto climate controls or manual?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure. JTDBL40E49J004367 PRODUCTION 01/08
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
JTDBL40E49J004367 Production 01/08
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still there?
Yes had to step away for a bit looking at the wiring diagram standby
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still standing by
Having a hard time determining whether you have automatic climate controls. The vehicle identification number just says air-conditioning it does not specify whether you have automatic climate controls. If you're uncertain post a picture the wiring diagram is different depending on which system you have.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A picture of the fuse block? Motor area? Under Dash?
Sorry the air conditioning controls on the dash?
Has any work been done to this vehicle prior to the air-conditioning/blower assembly not working? Any aftermarket radio installation or so on?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sent pic of dash and work order
Did you attach the pic to this post? It is not showing on my end.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Texted to this number. I will try again.
You cannot text the picture you should have a toolbar on your end that allows you to attach photographs.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sent at least 3x. Used attach file. Received?
OK got it. Manual AC let me look at that diagram.
Any recent work on the car? Any history leading up to the blower not working? If you pull the incabin filter out is the blower area full of rodent debris or nest? Can you turn the blower cage by hand?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Work recently completed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
tried again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
finally
Based on the information in the repair order it wouldn't seem like any of that work is related to the air-conditioning system. See the attached link the 50 amp heater fuse is part of the fusible link block in the fuse box under the hood it is location number seven as illustrated by the yellow highlighter. Make sure the that fuse is not blown and it as power to it. Next locate the 10 AMP ECU-IG NO2 fuse in the fuse box under the left side of the dash. does it have 12 volts or is it blown? With the plastic panel removed exposing the front side of the junction block where the electrical connectors and relays are for that fuse box on the left side of the instrument panel the second relay from the left hand bottom corner of the fuse block is the heater relay that controls power to the blower motor does this relay click on when the blower switch is turned on in the key is on? Is there debris in the blower motor when you pull the in cabin air filter out? Can you physically spin the blower motor squirrel cage? If the heater relay is clicking on you should have 12 V to the wire going to the blower motor. If the heater relay is not clicking on that could be a bad switch or could get much more complicated from there. Let me know how these Tesco.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that whole block looks empty?
There are fuses down inside it is one large strip look closer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can spin the fan motor, dirty filter. Clicking stoped from blue relay under dash, DENSO 5 blade 90987-04010(###) ###-#### ***** with dash buttons I did have AC light flicker, low fan output
That heater relay is strictly controlled by the blower switch. The blower switch makes contact to ground and turns the relay on and depending on the switch position and will pick power up off of the blower resistor. If the relay is clicking on and off it's possible the switch itself is bad. You need a wiring diagram to be able to understand fully how that works but it looks like it's probably that control switch.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Heading out to find relay. Still see nothing in that huge rectangle fuse . Raining now. Will get back later.
OK
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cannot remove the fuses from the engine compartment. Do you have a hint? I still do not see any fuses in the glass covered rectangle but if you say they are there, I will try to remove it. How?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The AC light does not light up. I do not have any fan activity. I did have low activity then nothing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This problem is not resolved.