Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years
12772297

Silva?

Customer Question

Silva?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
HI can you tell me a bit more about the problem?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Matt
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My camry 2001 has a hornlike sound when driving. This happens when i press acceleration
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My check engine light is also on. Error codes p0441, p0446, p0440.
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Hello all those codes refer to the Purge system ? so this is responsible for venting the gases from the petrol tank back into the engine to get all those faults with it then its likely that the vlave is disconnected or one of the hoses is broken so I'd carefully check all around the inlet manifold for broken pipes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Which One is the inlet manifold
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
hello the inlet manifold is the one thats connected to the air filter box with a long flexible hose so the side of engine that breathes air in
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh ok. It has many hoses connected to it. Is there any specific one that is likely to get damaged? There is a tube that goes threw a pipe underneath the car. The last time i discovered that it was causing the hornlike sound. The tube was sitting on the inside of the pipe rather than going through it. I failed to see it this time. Have an idea?
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
hello all of the small vacuum hoses need to be intact if you look at this image your engine should look similar to this and you can see all the small vac hoses and what goes where
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the picture. Thats very helpful. Let me check it out and get back to you
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
understoodjust get back to me on this post
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have checked but the picture looks different. Everything seems good. What should i replace to fix the purge system?
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
hello if none of the small hoses are broken I'd then consider double checking for vacuum leaks The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implementsif this is all OK then replace the purge valve