Waverly Lorello
Waverly Lorello, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician L1, L2
93062056

The check engine light and the trac off light are both lit

Customer Question

The check engine light and the trac off light are both lit at the same time on my 2012 toyota highlander. The car runs fine. The cel is lit continuously (no blinking). Any thoughts on this?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Waverly Lorello replied 8 months ago.
Hi im waverlyIt is normal for the engine light and trac to come on togetherI would have the codes read at any local auto parts store and get back to me when you have there codesIf you put fuel in the vehicle recently I would check to make sure the gas cap is tightTHANKS AND PLEASE RATE MY HELP
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
code is P 0766 which came up twice

Hi again

P0766 is related to a electrical or mechanical problem with shift Solenoid D in the transmission valve body

I would recommend having this looked at by someone having toyota transmission experience or any dealer

I have attached the diagnostic procedure but it will take a oem equivalent scan tool to diagnose and may include removing transmission pan and possibly part of the valve body assembly to diagnose if it is electrical or a mechanical failure has occurred in the transmission it self

This may or may not still be under warranty on this particular vehicle

Please ask any other questions you may have and please accept and rate the information I have given you