Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I diagnosed the problem with my 2005 RAV4 fdrivers side door

Customer Question

I diagnosed the problem with my 2005 RAV4 fdrivers side door lock when the remote would not unlock that door only. The key when inserted in the lock would lock and unlock all the other door as before but not the remote. I replaced the drivers side door lock acuator and now the key will unlock or lock the drivers side door but it doea not unlock all the other doors with a second turn. Also the remote actuator will still not unlock the drivers side door. The interior door lock switch will not lock the drivers side door either. Could it be the wiring to the actuator from the door lock switch that is faulty?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The road to determining the cause of this issue is through diagnosis. On the door lock motor, you have 2 wires. A Blue/Red and Blue/Orange. With the key in the slot and being turned to lock, power should enter one of these wires and, with the key in the unlock position, power should move to the other wire. If there is no power at either wire, I would look for a broken wire between the door and the body where the flexible tube is that the wire harness passes thru. Assuming the wires are all good, the driver side master control may be the cause of this, which is a bit common. I would recommend you check for power to the above-mentioned wires before doing anything else.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Confirming your email...
There was (1) 22 AWG Blue/Red wire & (2) Blue/Orange wires.Only one of the Blue/Orange wires appeared to be the same 22 AWG as the single Blue/Red wire and the other Blue/Orange appeared to be 24 or 26 AWG. I only tested the two 22 AWG wires. I connected the voltage tester to each wire in turn, with the + to each wire and the - to ground, and turned the key in both directions, for each wire that I tested. No voltage was detected. According to your disgnostic, the problem must be either in the wiring harness at the door jamb or in the door switch device. Obviously the door lock/window control is easiest to replace for a driveway mechanic like me and I don't even know if I can purchase a new drivers side door wiring harness Which is more likely to be the culpret?

No power to the door lock motor on the driver door, but the other doors do not lock/unlock....the first thing I would do is inspect the the wires to the switch thast is located on the back of the driver door key cylinder/lock. The switch may be bad, the wires disconnected, or the White/Black wire is not applying a ground when the key is moved to lock or unlock. The test here would be to take a wire that is solidly grounded, and, with the key switch wire disconnected, apply a ground to blue/red wire on the key switch.