Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Engine turns over, but won't start. There is no spark, but

Customer Question

Engine turns over, but won't start. There is no spark, but the coil test came out fine. I've done the diagnostics for the ECC and all tests indicated a bad ECC. I ordered a new ECC, installed it and it still wont start.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked for sparks at the plugs, checked resistance at the ignition coil, performed a diagnostic on the ECC. I found another post on this site that explained how to check your ECC. When I did this all tests indicated a bad ECC. I plugged in a remanufactured ECC and it still wont start.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It was running one day just fine. I took it in to get it smogged and it passed with flying colors. Then I tried to start it the next day and it turns over it just wont start.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: Also the check engine light does not come on when the ignition is on
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you havent inspected for any damaged or broken wires at all on the engine and leading to the ignition components this needs done.If any wiring is found to be damaged at all this will need repaired to correct this fault here.If this is or has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I checked all the wiring. Everything appears to be in good condition. I grounded the E1 terminal on the ECC and the check engine light did not come on.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

This is a tough one for me to answer myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete