Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Having starting problems, changed the ignition switch and

Customer Question

having starting problems, changed the ignition switch and starter, before that, I had the local auto parts place check the starter, battery and alternator, which they said check out
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just checked the battery voltage and cleaned the terminals. sometimes when I go to start the engine, there is nothing, like a dead battery, other times it will make a clicking sound like the starter wants to start. Other times it will try to start but won't. I literally have to turn the key 15-20 times before it will start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please describe in better detail the click noise from the starter. Is it one click or many clicks? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
usually just one click
One click indicates worn contacts inside the starter solenoid. The click you hear is the electromagnet pulling the contact plunger down to engage the power contact that is hooked to the battery. When contact is made, this power flows thru the plunger contact into the contact for the starter windings. Sort of a giant relay. The starter shop may not have checked the condition of the contacts when they looked at it/visually . The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to replace the contact set and the contact plunger. Parts are available aftermarket or at a Toyota dealer parts dept.