mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

I am just at 95,000 on my 2007 Prius. past month or so, I

Customer Question

Hi, I am just at 95,000 on my 2007 Prius. For the past month or so, I have started to notice a very subtle change as I drive -- so subtle, that at first I thought I was imagining it. Sometimes it feels like the transmission is slipping -- I'll be driving along, and there will be a hesitation, then the car quickly recovers. It seems to happen at slower speeds. Today, I had stopped to wait for the light at the freeway onramp, and when I started, it stuttered a moment then went into gear. I had my check up about 500 miles ago and forgot to mention it -- but they said the car was in great shape. I feel like I should get it checked out and would like to have a bit more knowledge before I walk in the door. I have an extended warranty for 100k miles.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.

if you have just under 100k on your prius i would look at the condition of the spark plugs on that vehicle. they do have a normal hesitation from a take of at times that is the electric engine starting the gas engine for a more powerful take off. but i am assuming this is not the jerk you are talking about. i would recommend a full service on it. they do have a tendancy to get a bit gummed up in the intake since they are a hybrid.

if you dont have anymore questions i would appreciate a positive rating.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Mike, thanks for your response. Is it your belief that there it cannot possibly be the transmission? I just had the car serviced so before I take it back, I'd appreciate a bit more information. For example, what would be signs that instead, it was actually a transmission issue? Is there anything else that could be causing this? A few years ago, I had an issue with the vehicle stability control -- and though it's more subtle than that, it's somewhat similar. Any extra context (or elimination of things) that you can provide would be most helpful. I want to be fully informed when I take it in. Thanks so much! I appreciate your help.

well it could be the fluid in the transmission as well sometimes these cvt transmissions need to be reset with new fluid in order to adapt to new fluid. also if the throttle body gets a glitch it will cause this. have you had all the ecu flash updates done on this vehicle? those are a few things you can look at aswell. but a slight stumble and recovery at that mileage tends to be plugs but you say you had them done at your last check up. but i would double check and ensure they were in fact replaced.