Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

I have a 2004 Scion XB. As of lately it has an extreme loss

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Scion XB. As of lately it has an extreme loss of power, makes a moped kind of sound while driving ( sounds as if its coming from the hood ) and will not shift into overdrive. I am pinned at 3000 rpm at 45 miles an hour. I have had the codes pulled and it brings up ignition coil and knock sensor and something about evap. I need my car to be able to get on the highway.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Xb.

What codes is the ecu giving?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
P0325 p0456 P0301 P0420. For right now I would love to solve the issue of it not shifting into OverDrive. I need to travel this weekend for work and need to use the highway.

The problem with the P0456 (Evap code) and P0420 (catalytic converter) can wait for now but the P0301 (misfire) and P0325 (knock sensor) could be related. These 1NZ engines were known for having bad coils go and the knock sensor should just be replaced. I'd replace the #1 coil (make sure the plugs are good and not due for replacement) and also replace the knock sensor, then clear codes and test drive. If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.