mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

My name is ***** *****. 2005 Sienna driver's side sliding

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. 2005 Sienna driver's side sliding door (non-power) is stuck. We can't release it at all - unlocked, inside, outside. etc.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It appears to me that the part of the door that grabs onto the metal part on the door post is stuck. We've taken off the door handle panel, and everything seems to work. But nothing releases the door. It's jus stuck
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be an issue with a damaged or failed door latch itself.If you have the paneling off see if you can trigger the latch to release manually with a flat blade tool or similar.If this is not an option or was already tried let me know.I have seen the latches fail before needing replaced for a fault like this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you please provide a diagram as to where I need to push with the screwdriver to release the latch? I've taken the door panel off, but there seem to be a lot of places where I might be able to insert the screwdriver.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately my info doesnt show an area where this can be released manually.Usually you can insert a screw drive in place at the latch where the handle usually releases it to then pull on it or push on it to release it.There isnt a specific procedure for this here but usually manipulating it with a screw driver will release and open it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This isn't terribly helpful, Pete: "Unfortunately my info doesnt show an area where this can be released manually". If I don't know where to insert a screwdriver, I'm not going to be able to use the information you provided.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  mike switzer replied 7 months ago.

you are saying the doors interior and exterior doorhandles do not operate the door am i reading this correctly?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sort of. The driver's side rear door is stuck. It is non-powered door. It seems that the interior and exterior door handles are working in that you can feel things moving inside the door when you operate the handles. But the door doesn't budge. The door appears not to be aligned correctly either. From the interior there seems to be a bigger gap between the door edge and the door post, and from the outside the rear portion of the door seems to be closer to the interior of the car - that is, the rear edge of the door is too far in (a fraction of an inch) compared to the rear side panel.

these doors do have hinge problems have you tried lifting on the door while pulling the hand from outside?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't say that I've tried that, but I will. It will have to wait until tomorrow as my wife is at work with the car tonight.I'll let you know if that works.

no problem i will be available tomorrow. just shoot me a message.

i would definitly appreciate a positive rating all follow ups are free and it doesnt cost you any more for the service.