Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics

It is a 1999 avalon and it is having power steering issues,

Customer Question

It is a 1999 avalon and it is having power steering issues, a small leak by L front wheel was noticed earlier could there be a leak of fluid or other issue?
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: A fluid leak was noticed under car earlier this week and now there is diffuculty turning the wheel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If all possible. I thought of buying exttra fluid buy being a holiday everything is closed
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

If there is a fluid leak by the front wheel and there are steering performance issues, it sounds like the steering rack has failed and will need to be replaced. If you jack the vehicle up, you can get a closer view of the steering rack. Most commonly, when it has failed and is leaking, it will be visible from the boot. I've marked the common leak spots that will confirm the rack will need to be replaced in this image:

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.