Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

This is ***** *****. I have a 99 Camry. Its instrument

Customer Question

Hello, this is ***** *****. I have a 99 Camry. Its instrument cluster - speedometer, temp gauge, tachometer, etc. and power windows stop working. I found the 10A gauge fuse blown. But after I replaced it, it blew again once I started driving the car. I see there are quite some people reporting the same problem. But I haven't been able to find a confirmed fix yet. Help please!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 1) Instrument cluster not working. Speedometer, temp gauge, tachometer, were inoperative! Gas gauge appeared to be working normally.2) Power windows inoperative (all doors), but power locks working normally.3) Overdrive did not appear to be operating (as if overdrive had been turned off); toggling the overdrive selector on the gear shift did nothing....
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there is a similar issue here: http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/6wfvf-gauge-fuse-98-toyota-camry-keep-blowing-battery-not.html
According to that, after disconnecting the neutral safety switch, the fuse stop blowing. I'd like to try that. But how do I disconnect the NSS? Can you send me instructions and some pictures if available?
Expert:  Matt C. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, what engine do you have in this vehicle? Until I know what engine and if you can figure out what your doing when this fuse blows (ie: hitting the brake pedal, shifting into gear, AC compressor turning on/off) I am going to give you a few problems areas to check.

I do recall there being an issue with the wire harness near the EGR melting and shorting out. They also had a problem with wires grounding out on the brake pedal assembly coming from the brake on/off switch. Also, wiring for A/C compressor can short out. Finally the wiring for the brake lights themselves (including checking the bulb sockets for corrosion). I would first CAREFULLY inspect the areas I have mentioned, electrical shorts can be hard to see.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's a 4-cylinder 99 Camry. The engine model is 5S-FE. I visually checked all the wires I can find and see no problem. I finally found the Neutral Position Switch with the help of my Haynes manual. I assume it's the same as Neutral Safety Switch. But the problem is once I disconnected its wire, the car won't start at all. I disconnected and connected it a few time. I also disconnected the wires for windows control, rubbed wires here and there. And suddenly, the car worked fine, without any problem. That's a bad thing because I still don't know what the cause is. Until it happens again next time, I won't be able to proceed. Thank you and I will update the thread when the problem happens again.