Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have 2005 Prius. Just replaced ballasts and bulbs. Still

Customer Question

I have 2005 Prius. Just replaced ballasts and bulbs. Still have intermittent lights going off. Would computer reboot help?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The headlights, while driving or otherwise, go out, one at a time, or even both. They come back on when turning them on and off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm over $1,000 into it now and until I worked on it myself, the results did not improve. My basic question now is, would a reboot hurt anything?
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Up until now best car I ever owned, has 260,000 miles still gets up to 48 mpg.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. To answer your main question, there is no 'computer reboot" on this car. What you probably have going on here is either one for the following relays is dropping out ("H-LP" and "DIM"), or, the daytime running light module is faulty. Relays are rather reliable, and we have had a lot of Daytime running lamp module failures as of late. If this car was in my shop, I would be seeing if I had power at the headlamp fuses. If no power is there, replace the relays. If power IS there. and the relays are not clicking when the headlamps are switched on, you have a headlight switch problem. If you have power at the ballasts and the relays are clicking in, then, and only then would i condidfer tracing the power to the daytime running light module (which is rather hard to get to; buried in the center of the instrument panel on the driver side)

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.