Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Ron, I had the fuel cap replaced after the check engine

Customer Question

Hi Ron,
I had the fuel cap replaced after the check engine light came on along with the vsc light and trac control it went off for a day and then came back on now I have the check engine light flashing it feels like its misfiring but if I turn the car off and turn it back on the check engine light stops flashing but still stays on its going into the shop mon my mechanic sprayed a salt water solution on the electrical to see if that was an immediate prob but it did not affect it could it be a fuel systems issue
Category: Toyota
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

first, what were the codes for the engine??? how did you know to replace the gas cap??

the vsc and trac light are separate systems. they are in the abs system

the flashing light indicates a miss fire in the engine. the first step is to get the code. a parts store will get them for free. then we can narrow down the area of failure.

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok my mechanic got the codes at first which led him to put on a new fuel cap on but that did not resolve prob .. lights came back on... small evaporation leak showed up on his computer he was going to have me return closer to my emissions date and put that smoke in the system can I go to an advanced auto to have them find out codes..this new flashing check engine started today and like I said when I turn it off and back on the check engine light no longer flashes and doesn't skip
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

yes, I need those codes

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok I will get them tom
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

ok