Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

2007, Prius red triangle check engine light will not ready,

Customer Question

JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Prius red triangle check engine light will not ready
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yeah
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ran out of gas and did not make to the gas station
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: Ran of drive battery
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Our top Toyota Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Toyota Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Toyota Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.

Hi there. Trying to understand what you mean by "Prius red triangle check engine light will not ready", can you clarify?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Drove the prius ran out if gas ran on batteries those died too
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Refueled and recharged 12v battery car will show several lights including chk engine and really triangle
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I’m sorry, but I don’t have any other information that could help you at this time. I’ll opt out so others may try. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this request back to me.

Best Regards.

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

There is a safety factor biult into the hybrid battery that will keep it from completely discharging, if you stiil have access to the multifunction display it should show about two bars of charge, aside from that when running completely out of fuel the computer codes need to be cleared because the out of fuel condition is still there and can cause the problem you are having. Without access to a diagnostic tool to retieve codes I can give you something to try that may work, first of all the check engine light will almost always turn the master warning light on as well, disconnect the 12 volt battery and wait about 2 minutes, make sure this battery is at 11.8 volts or higher, voltage lower than this will not allow the ready on condition. After confirming the 12 volt battery voltage reconnect it and see if you get a ready light and start, if not you may have to have the dealer connect their computer to first get any codes that are still logged and possibly reset the system by clearing codes using the diagnostic computer.