Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series. Horn does not work. Power

Customer Question

Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series. Horn does not work. Power reaches the Spiral cable but does not come from the Spiral cable to Steering. As a result, horn pad does not work. I am able to hook a common bell switch and tap a line from the horn wire before the Spiral cable to get the horn to work.
How do I maek the horm pad work again?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 months ago.
Do you have the vehicle identification number available? What year is it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a 1996 model. Non US - There is no VIN number but there is a chassis number HZJ810005123. Check this link

84306-60020 is the part number of the spiral cable that you need. If you're getting power to the column and nothing to the connector inside the steering wheel behind the airbag then the spiral cable is bad. Click the attachment to see an illustration. If you Google search that part number you will find allot of places online that you can purchase the part from there's no way to repair the part. Provided your connectors are good you have to replace the spiral cable. Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided to you at three or higher.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have done the research. I know the part number required already. It is not available in production / disontinued, hence my question to you / Just answer,com.
Is there a way to bypass the Spiral cable and get the horn pad to work?

There is no way to bypass that. At least going to the steering wheel. If the circuit is bad for the horn there's a good possibility the circuit will be bad for the SRS unit and you run the risk of damaging that and if an accident the airbag will not deploy. If for some reason you have to have a horn your best option at this point would be to put a remote button on the instrument panel or center console somewhere. Search that part number there were a few websites that show that is a good part number and available.