Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Our car radio is working (display works, channels change,

Customer Question

Our car radio is working (display works, channels change, everything appears to be functioning....but there is no sound coming through any of the speakers. Bluetooth also seems to be working, and when I connect my phone through bluetooth and use the voice commands, the phone responds, so it's hearing me. I just can't hear anything through the speakers. We have a 2013 toyota sienna XE. Pretty standard; no DVD system on board, and the radio in the car is what comes standard. Can anyone help? I dropped it off to get detailed today, and everything was working fine when I left it with them. When I picked it up--the speakers were a no-go. I'm hoping there's some magic switch they accidentally hit that can turn the speakers back on. I also swung by the toyota dealership on the way home, but they couldn't figure it out quickly and wanted me to make an appointment. Please help!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

Radio stuff is a little tricky to diag remotely, but let's give it a shot. Check these two fuses first and we'll go from there:

AMP- under dash panel

RAD No 2- under dash panel

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

If your vehicle doesn't have an external amplifier then the AMP fuse will not be present so you should check the RAD No 1 fuse.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We've already pulled all the radio fuses. They're good.
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

Forgive me if this seems a little basic, but the mute setting isn't on right?

You will have to look in the owner's manual for instructions on how to check that. They don't publish it in the repair manuals.

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

Did you find an AMP fuse?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's not basic...I didn't even know there was a mute button until today. It doesn't seem to be on. When I press and hold it like the manual says, it turns the radio off. I can also turn the radio back on by pressing again, and use it to toggle through radio selections...not once did it either mute or in mute the speakers. I'll check with husband on the amp piece...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We didn't know there was an amp fuse. All of the fuses I saw were labeled "audio system". Should I look for a fuse labeled AMP?
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

If it has an amplifier it will have an AMP fuse. If it doesn't have an amplifier, then it eliminates a number of circuits to check for a fault. Not all siennas are equipped with an external amplifier.

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

It's not the mute setting. I just found a copy of the stereo manual for the sierra on line and if you adjust the volume up or down it cancels the mute.

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

I suspect that your model does have an AMP. According to the wiring diagrams from toyota if it doesn't have an external AMP, and there is no sound from the speakers, then the only possible cause would be an internal short inside the radio. Unless the detailers got the radio really wet, I can't see that happening as a result of the detail.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just went back over the fuses listed in the book, and the one that says audio system / AMP was not there, so we didn't pull it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

That might be bad news. There is really nothing between the speakers and the radio (according to the diagram) that could be checked to restore the sound. It's all internal.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I replace the system without diagnosing the problem, do you think a new system would work? I'll probably drop by another dealership again, but I wonder if a new system wouldn't be cheaper in the long run.
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

I need to call it a night. I'll check back in with you in the AM to see if you have more concerns. I think you might be at the point where you will need to have the radio replaced.

One more thing you could try is to hard reboot the radio- Pull all of the radio related fuses for at least 30-60 minutes. Then reinstall them and see if it comes back to life.

If that doesn't work then you could try to reset all of the vehicle's modules by pulling both battery cables then touching and holding them together for about 1 minute. This will reboot every module on the vehicle. It's a last effort, but it might get it to work again and it's worth a try since it doesn't cost anything.

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

Any luck attempting to reset/reboot the radio?

Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.

I just wanted to check and see whether you needed any additional help on this one.

Please don't forget to rate if I have been of some assistance.