Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

My Scion will not turn over. I put a new battery in it but

Customer Question

My Scion will not turn over. I put a new battery in it but it does not turn at all. Is there a starter relay that could be out? if so where is it located?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The battery is new but the car does not turn over. No sound at all when the key is turned, but lights, radio, horn, etc all work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have to
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It was running fine then started having trouble starting so I had it boosted a few times then it would not even turn over so I got a new battery but it did not help
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today. When you say that the vehicle had problems starting, do you mean that it was slow to turn over or that when you turned the key, nothing happened?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Slow to turn over at first then would not turn over at all

And now that you have a new battery installed, it doesn't turn over at all?

Is this the original starter in the car?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok, do you have and know how to use a Multimeter (DVOM)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not with the car. I am trying to troubleshoot it remotely for my son. I thought perhaps a relay had gone out since it makes no sound at all.

I see. Most likely the problem is the starter itself and by using the multimeter we could verify it. I take it he is want to fix this himeself, correct? Or maybe just get it started to drive to a repair shop or Home?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He needs to fix it himself if possible, but I am trying to find out what is wrong so that he does not incur any more unnecessary expense
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What test should be done with the multimeter?

There are two connections on the starter, one is held on by a 12mm nut (not the one we want) and the other is a clipped in plug. Disconnect that plug and measure it for 12Volts when the key is turned on. If you get 12volts there when the key is turned, then the starter is bad and needs to be replaced.

The starter is held in by two 14mm bolts and just slides out. Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok then, a starter will run about $135-200 depending on where you purchase it. The starter going out is a very routine problem as these vehicle get up there in mileage/age so replacing this should get him back to hassle free driving.

Please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars) and know that I strive to give Excellent Service!