Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years

What does the traction control exactly do? does it lock the

Customer Question

What does the traction control exactly do? does it lock the differential? or control brakes?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I need to know if Im getting a vibration at high speeds from the traction control. The light is flashing 97 avalon.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: ABS light on, New tires and rotors brakes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

the traction control works in 2 ways, firstly it reduces engine power by pulling back spark timing and throttle position ( if its the electric throttle type)

then it brakes the individual wheel just enough to stop it from slipping and so transfer torque over to the other side of the vehicle

this increase stability and traction

if the light is coming on in a straight line then

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS / TC systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you