Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I got a hybrid system warning message then a vehicle

Customer Question

I got a hybrid system warning message then a vehicle stability system warning, then my gas pedal failed to work. I stopped the car and restarted it. The warnings came on again. I stopped and started again then while driving got a check engine light. Now I do not get any warnings when I turn it on, but I have only turned it on a gain to drive a few feet up my driveway the last time.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: 2007 Camry hybrid
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: I would like to fix it if it is simple but first I was wondering what might cause it. I can't find anything about it in my manual or online.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 8 months ago.

hello, thanks for posting

The unresponsive gas pedal is due to the warning lights on which will cause the system to go to a fail safe mode limiting throttle angle opening. does the engine start up and run now? Does the check engine light still remain on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The engine starts up now. The light is now off.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I drove the car a couple of blocks home.

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** thing I would suggest doing and you can do yourself is to test the auxiliary 12 volt battery in the trunk, it's best to have a shop check it or even autozone or O Reilly, they do a free battery check, it's possible that this battery is not accepting a charge anymore and may need to be replaced, especially if it's over 4 years old.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I will check that when I get back to the car in an hour. I appreciate the suggestion. If that isn't the case, what should I look for. Thanks.

iN THAT CASE i WOULD SUGGEST HAVING A TOYOTA DEALER GET INVOLVED TO DIAGNOSE THE HYBRID SYSTEM BUT LET'S NOT GO THERE UNTIL WE KNOW ABOUT THE BATTERY, THANKS.