Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I am having a problem with RPM decreasing to 500 rpm after

Customer Question

I am having a problem with RPM decreasing to 500 rpm after the engines gets hot
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The rpm is about 1100 when the engine starts. Putting on AC increases the vacumn but when off and the engine warms up, it goes down to 500 to 600 and sometimes stalls when in drive
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

has anything been done yet to correct this issue yet ?

can you tell me the year and model and engine size ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1989 Toyota Corolla 4A from Japan. I live in Thailand. We replaced Carb and small vacuum pumps for air and rpm
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.

I think that there is a vacuum leak on the intake system, either the carburetor base gasket or the intake manifold gasket may be leaking between the manifold and the cylinder head. Also check foor any loose or disconnected vacuum hoses. If the engine has an EGR system, the EGR valve may be sticking at dile when it is supposed to be off.