Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

My 2013 corolla has a check engine light and trac off light

Customer Question

My 2013 corolla has a check engine light and trac off light on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My car will not speed up if I press the accelerator
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  I. Silva replied 7 months ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

Your vehicle is in safe mode .

The engine computer has detected a problem with your vehicle ,when this happens it will set the engine light ON and place your vehicle in safe mode ,this means you can drive it to the next repair shop only at safe speed to have it checked out.

The first thing you need to do is scanning the engine computer to see what kind of trouble code comes up and just fallow the code description to fix the problem.

There are many things that can set the engine light ON,from a loose fuel tank cap to several sensors in the engine and transmission.

With this age vehicle my first guess would be an evap leak or misfiring but like I said scanning the computer would be the right step to find the problem.

Did you put gas in the last day or two ?

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My battery died and then someone helped me jump my battery then this happened
Expert:  I. Silva replied 7 months ago.

Can you disconnect the battery for a minute and then start it to see if the check engine light goes out and you get your power back ?

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's raining and I don't know how to do that but I will see if my brother and stop by in the morning to try it.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 7 months ago.

No problem .

Ask him if he has a scanner or a code reader to scan your vehicle ,would be helpful to know the code before disconnecting the battery.

You can stop by at any auto parts store and they will scan the vehicle for you at no charge.

Let me know.

Thank you.