rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

We have an 07 Scion tC that cranks over but won't start. I

Customer Question

Hello. We have an 07 Scion tC that cranks over but won't start. I turned key to the on position and can't hear fuel pump so that is my best guess, but then I read that the tC fuel pump doesn't prime till the engine cranks over is this true and could you offer any suggestions. We've had the car for over two years with no problems and it ran fine to the spot it's setting in right now
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hoping
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It has about 90,000 miles it's a 5 speed
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
First check for power to the pump from the fuse to the pump. Check grounds too. Also check with a scan tool that can turn on the pump through the scanner in bidirectional mode.

Thanks, Ron