Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

My Toyota Camry is overheating and I have no heat, I

Customer Question

My Toyota Camry is overheating and I have no heat, I replaced the thermostat and coolant temperature switch, I flushed the radiator and put new fluid in it, but it still overheats and I have no heat either what do you think it could be?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: A friend of mine
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Normally, when we see an overheat condition (and no heat), we usually find that there si an air pocket in the cooling system. Sometimes, just filling the system after a thermostat replacement allows a pocket of air. As the fluid moves around in the system, the air is pushed to the water pump area. The water pump impeller is not designed to pump air, it pumps water. So, the water pump cannot move the coolant and causes the overheat. The trick we use to getting the air pocket out is to raise the front of the car up as high as possible. Then open the radiator cap and start it up. Coolant will flow out at times as the air pocket seeks to rise out of the engine. Keep adding coolant as the bubbles appear in the radiator. Eventually, the radiator level will drop rather noticeably. This is the air pocket. You will start to see the heat output getting better as the air pocket diminishes too. Once the heat output is good, refit the radiator cap and let the front end back down. Drive it to make sure you get all of the tiny bubbles and top the radiator off the next morning.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks