Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I'm trying to determine the issue with my alternator.

Customer Question

I'm trying to determine the issue with my alternator. Charging system light came on; stopped at auto zone battery tested good. Alternator not charging battery; unable to test alternator without me taking it out the car. Alternator was replaced in 9/2013.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm wondering if a door open sensor that doesn't go off (malfunctioning) could cause the alternator fuse to blow ? Rear door is missing the rubber stopper. Door open indicator is illuminated 24/7
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for posting.

It's not necessary to remove the alternator to test it, the best way is to test it in the car withan charging system tester, as far as I know autozone just uses a little hand held device that does not test the charging system under actual load conditions. the door open sensor will not draw enough current to cause this so please have someone test the charging system tested using computer controlled charging system analyzer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've had my alternator replaced twice and 4-5 batteries since 2011; any suggestions on what could be causing this reoccurring issue? No other maintenance issues with this car

Thanks for the reply I understand what was already done but I would like to confirm the charging system output using the method I have described, this was four years ago, so I would verify the charging system condition at this time. four or five batteries in that time frame is not normal so I'm wondering if these alternators are charging the batteries back up, the charging light is on for a reason.