Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1978 toyata fj40 landcruiser and when i lock the

Customer Question

i have a 1978 toyata fj40 landcruiser and when i lock the front hubs and turn right it makes a rapid banging noise or if i put transmission in*****it will do the same noise without locking the hubs in*****but also only when turning right.Any ideas what is going on?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Without feeling the or hearing the noise on a road test, it is difficult to be exact here. However, experience is usually one of the following things:

Tooth broken off of the front ring gear or pinion gear

Front Rzeppa joints or U-joints worn or faulty

Front driveshaft u-joints worn or faulty

Loose front driveshaft yoke.

The thing to do here is raise it up on a rack, have someone start it up, put it in gear and turn the wheel. From underneath, one can listen for the noise using mechanic's stethoscope.. The best thing to do, though, it find a shop that has an electronic stethoscope. This is where transducers attache to different suspected noice areas. The vehicle is then road tested and the individual transducers are listened to via a set of headphones. A proper diagnosis here is the best path to a repair. You could conceivable put a new rear end into this vehicle and not fix it cause a j-joint was bad.

.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer