Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I replaced my instrument cluster with a used one from Ebay

Customer Question

I replaced my instrument cluster with a used one from Ebay per your recommendation. The speedometer still goes dead. As a result the transmission shifting won't function normally. All other instruments function on the cluster. If I put the transmission into neutral and turn the key off then restart, the speedometer kicks back on and the transmission begins shifting properly.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers on your model here and if so what codes are set?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I gave the fault codes to the last tech that had me replace my instrument Cluster. I will have to have to go again and get them again. I will say that the speedodometer quits and then the transmission stops shifting. If I slip the trany into neutral and cycle the key off and on, the speedodometer kicks back on and everything works. One tech thought it was the wheel speed sensors. However the engine light comes on for about 100 miles.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

If you can get the codes and post them here this will help just let me know.

Thanks Pete